TODAY WE'LL TALK TO NATHAN HARPER ABOUT FINDING JORDIE~AND THEN GET HER REBUTTAL!


What better way to start off your Saturday morning than chatting with the characters from FINDING JORDIE! Please welcome Nathan Harper and Jordan....

We'll start off with Nathan.  So tell  me about yourself. What is your occupation? Why? What are your strengths & weaknesses?

I’m an actor. I get paid to have schizophrenia pretty much. Why am I an actor? Well, according to my wife it’s because I’m “a panty dropper,” meaning girl's drop their panties for me. Ha! My strength is my family and my weakness is Jordie in my T-shirts.

What’s your family like and how does your upbringing affect you now?

My parents are amazing people. They’ve been together for 20 something years…high school sweethearts. That had everything to do with my upbringing. I would see families falling apart all around me and I couldn’t imagine what they felt like because I never had that sort of insecurity when it came to my family.  So, that’s what took so long. I didn’t want to mess around and invest time and emotions into something I knew wouldn’t work out…I was waiting for Jordan to come along. And now, well, as you can see my family has grown and it’s my turn to give our kids that same sense of security.

Very nice. Tell me, if you were told to pick a tangible object that would symbolize you, what would you pick?

It’s kinda crazy that you’d ask this question because I was just discussing it with Frank the other day. He's my body guard. I lose things. I leave shit behind everywhere I go. Anything important, Frank has to hold on to for me. Paper work, schedules, my cell phone, anything I really need.  Hence his fashionable man purse as Jordie calls it. Lol  So right before I was about to shoot a scene, David, (my director) reminded me to take off my wedding band and when I took it off I literally felt anxious about it. That ring symbolizes something so important to me…well, it symbolizes EVERYTHING that I’d ultimately sacrifice my own being for…and it defines me now. I’m not Nathan Harper anymore…I’m Jordie’s husband, Emma and Nathan’s father and last, I’m Nathan Harper. That ring is who I am…it symbolizes everything about me.

That's beautifully said. So how did you two meet anyway? And what was your first impression of Jordie?
      
      Surely you’ve read about this in the tabloids, no? Well, to be quite honest it didn’t happen quite the way they told the story. (Laughing) That still pisses Jordie off til this day.  I had just gotten into New York that afternoon, and my friend Tyler wanted to check out this bar he was going to be playing at. So we headed on over there and the place was jammed packed. I mean wall to wall people, so nobody would have really noticed me. I went outside for a smoke and Jordie caught my eye when she was mouthing off to some drunk guy that was getting kicked out of the bar.  Then she was laughing at something and her smile had me mesmerized. I had never seen anyone so beautiful. When she went to walk back into the bar, the drunk guy she just kicked out came back and they exchanged words. You had to see her. All five foot nothing standing up to this guy. I nonchalantly made my way through the crowd so I was standing a few feet behind her when the guy just hauled off and popped her one right in the face.  Immediately I went to help her up but before I could she was already up and starting to go back at the guy, so I grabbed her around the waist and held her back. You had to see her, mad as hell, and she’s strong when she’s pissed. LOL Anyhow, the papers reported I stepped in and rescued her but the only person I rescued was that drunken fool, because she was out for blood. LOL

Sounds feisty! So, Nathan, what is it that you want out of life?

Everything it has to offer. But more than anything I want to grow old and grumpy with Jordie and to see my kids grow up and lead happy, full lives.

I like that answer! But how about disappointments? Has life handed you any major disappointments?

Life has handed me a few disappointments, yes. I’ve been kind of lucky in the life department. I mean, before I met Jordie, I had my trust issues, and what not. I know poor me right? Lol Honestly though, it sucked. I had no idea who was my friend and who just wanted to use me for fame and money. With the exception of Tyler and my family of course, oh and Frank, I was alone. So yeah, it was sort of disappointing there for a long while…but it was worth the wait that’s for sure.

Now for a fun one. If you had an unexpected free day, what would you do with it? 

I’d go house hunting. We need a bigger place now since we’ve expanded. My schedule sucks sometimes so whatever free time I do manage to get, I spend with my wife and kids. Well, Jordan will sleep and I spend time with the kids. It’s that “up all night” stage right now for her with Nate getting up every few hours to eat. By the time she’s done feeding and changing him and falls back to sleep he’s up again.  (laughs) I don’t mean to laugh but she can be quite amusing the morning after a long night.  

If you were to leave Jordie out of the equation, who would be your best friend?

Tyler Duncan. He moved to Sacramento when we were kids and been inseparable ever since. Good guy. Calls BS when he sees it and is the brother I never wanted. Heh.
           
Last question, and then we'll move on to Jordie. What CD is in your CD player right now? 

Indie singer Ruston Kelly. 

Hmm...I've never heard of him. Now, Jordie. You've been waiting patiently. Tell me about yourself. What is your occupation?

I’m a full time mom and wifey right now but I also own a bar in New York City’s East Village. “The Post.”

Very interesting! Strengths, weaknesses?

My strengths are…Jesus that’s a loaded question huh? I guess they’d be my kids and my husband. They’ve made me stronger…I know it sounds so cliché’ but it’s the truth. And my weaknesses are the same thing probly’ LOL I’d do anything for them…well that and my husband in his faded jeans barefoot with no shirt on. My god that makes me weak in the knees. Yup, definitely my weakness right there. Lol

Okay. What’s your family like and how does your upbringing affect you now?

It’s just me and my sister Kelly left from our family. Our parents died when we were pretty young so that had a lot to do with our upbringing. We learned very early on you had to work your ass off if you wanted to make it in this world. We took care of each other though. 

That must have been hard. What is your earliest childhood memory? 

I was around four, Kelly, me and our mom were sitting out in the back yard by the lilac tree braiding each other’s hair. … A chilly breeze came through so we decided to head back in the house. Before we got inside though, mom hugged us really tight and said she loved us with her whole heart and then some. I remember her hair smelled like lilacs and honey.

I asked Nathan this one, now I want to get your take. What tangible object would symbolize you?

Right now, my breast pump…Oh shit. Did I say that out loud? HA HA HA… I’d say my wedding ring…it’s everything I want to be and more. It’s everything I’m proud to be, lucky to be and as long as I live, will be. 
      
Describe Nathan for us. What was your first impression of him and did it change over time?

At first I thought Nathan was crazy. LOL No joke, I used to call him nut-job. Our first encounter with one another was me getting nailed in the face by some drunken guy, my face bleeding all over and him having to hold me back like some rabid animal trying to attack the guy that hit me. I figured he had to be nuts if he insisted on walking me home after that shit show.  LOL I knew I would love him though…something inside me just came to life when he was around. I guess you could say it changed over time in the sense that it grew into what we are today. But I still think he’s crazy LOL

Has life handed you any major disappointments? 

Oh holy hell…up until I was 22? 23? My life was one continuous stream of disappointments. It wasn’t easy being me…everyone dying on me…young widowed mom…thank god I had Kelley and Rachel.
            
On to happier thoughts. If you had an unexpected free day, what would you do with it? 

Sleep. Then I’d get up and sleep some more.

And last question, what CD is in your CD player right now? 

Some indie singer Nathan likes.

Thanks for joining us today, Nathan and Jordie, and I wish you two all the best! We've had a hint of what FINDING JORDIE is about, but here's the blurb to tell you more:





Jordie is a survivor, tough and independent.

She's had to be, since her husband was killed in Iraq. For the last eight years, raising her daughter and owning a popular New York City bar has kept Jordie plenty busy, leaving her no time for much of anything else. Aside from her sassy yet squirrely best friend Rachel, Jordie's social life is bare bones and her love life nonexistent. Truth be told she wouldn't change a thing; she's never been
happier.


Then she meets Nathan, and he changes everything with one crooked smile, triggering a chain of life-altering events for the two of them, filled with romance, chaos, and deadly peril. Neither of them could ever imagine their relationship would resurrect an unknown darkness from Jordie's past, lurking in the shadows, just waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Jordie has never needed to be stronger for all of them to make it out alive.


Sensuality Level: Sensual


The following excerpt contains strong language.


“Fuck!” I blurted out as I reached my steps. Nathan was perched there halfway up and, my Lord, he was
looking fine.


“Is that a statement or a request?” He grinned mischievously at me, a grin that touched those amazing blue eyes.


Oh shit, he’s here … on my front porch. My heart slammed into my throat and I was pretty sure I had lost the ability to form a coherent sentence. “Hi?” was all I could manage to say.

What was he doing here at three A.M.?

“I wanted to make sure you made it home safely,” he said, as if answering my silent question.

“Nut. Job,” I mouthed slowly to him.

He laughed, unveiling that beautiful, perfect, white-toothed smile that made his eyes even brighter. Then it happened. With that one smile, I surrendered to whatever it was inside of me I was fighting. I could no longer worry about how this story would end when all I wanted to do was start it.

I walked past him. “Want to come up for a beer or something?” I unlocked the door and waited for the impact of the rejection.

“Or something.”


I could hear the smirk in his tone. “Is that a statement or a request?” Ugh, what are you doing? Is this flirting? I silently sighed. Rachel had never been more correct — it had been too long.

“Lock the door behind you, please.” I started the two-flight journey to my apartment. We reached my door, and I took a deep breath while I unlocked it. We walked in and I tossed my crap on the table as usual. He closed the door, and I heard the click of the lock. “Want some breakfast?” I asked him, walking past the large sectional in my living room into the kitchen. Nathan followed but stopped in the dining room and took a quick glance around my place as he leaned against the wall.

“Assuming I will be here for breakfast?” he asked in a sultry voice full of humor.

Flushed, I popped my head out from behind the fridge door. “Smart ass, I meant now. I’m starving. Yes or no?”

“Sure.” He got dimples when he smiled.

“Can you make some coffee?” I pointed to the pantry closet door.

“Yes, ma’am.” He stepped into the pantry. “Pop Tarts? You eat Pop Tarts?” His muffled words became clearer as he walked out, holding coffee in one hand and a box of Pop Tarts in the other. He
closed the door with his foot.

“I enjoy a good Pop Tart.” I pouted, crinkling my eyebrows.

“Seriously? Strawberry? I thought you said you enjoyed a good Pop Tart.” He eyed me suspiciously.

“Shut up — it’s the sprinkles. They make me happy.” I quickly looked back down to the pan, trying not to stare at his amazing blue eyes.

“Do you know what these are made of?” He sounded appalled, as if I were eating a cockroach instead of an artificial pastry.

“No, please enlighten me.” I noticed my cheeks hurt because I had been smiling for the past five minutes.

“All right, sassy pants, I will.” He was attempting to be serious, but began to laugh while he poured water into the coffee maker.

“C’mon educate me, I need a good schooling, and have you ever made coffee before?” I playfully grabbed the coffee from his hands, swiftly dumped four scoops into the top of the machine, closed the lid, and pressed the start button.

“Impressive.” He hopped onto the counter holding the box of Pop Tarts again, watching me. “It’s a sugar coma is what it is. I can’t explain it. I just know anything that has a shelf life of fourteen years and is still edible after a nuclear winter can’t be good for you.” He held his head high and tightened his lips as if he was triumphant in convincing me.

I stared blankly at him, trying my damnedest not to laugh, but the corners of my mouth betrayed me as they tightened. We both burst out in laughter.

“Really? That’s all you got?” I snatched the box from his hands and put it back on the counter. “Like I said, it’s all about the sprinkles, so if there is in fact a nuclear winter, at least I’ll be happy.” I tossed him a loaf of bread. “Can you make toast?”

“Can I make toast?” He hopped off the counter. “Of course I can make toast.”

When I turned to look at him he was standing at the toaster with a confused look on his face.

“You’re kidding me, right?” My mouth popped open wide in shock and he laughed.

“Gotcha.” He winked, pushing down the lever.

Oh my, no no no. I won’t survive this night if he keeps shit like that up.
• • •

_________

Aren't they cute together? Now for more about author H.J. Harley:
 
HJ is just a Jersey girl surviving in the good ol’
South. She's a fan sunglasses, good coffee, original
stories, her pets, and laughing with friends. Most importantly, she loves being a mother to her beautiful daughter.



9 comments:

  1. Good morning, HJ, and thank you for sharing Nathan and Jordie with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having them!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great! Thanks HJ! BTW, I like Ruston Kelly, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping in, Kristin! Character interviews are always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun interview! I loved this book, and these characters. I wanted to hang out with them at The Post too! (And the nuclear winter pop tarts scene was one of my favourite moments!) Looking forward to the next book from HJ. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a cute scene, isn't it? I can hear the dialogue going exactly like that! Thanks for stopping in, Serena and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved, Finding Jordie, and this character interview was awesome. Just as good as an epilogue when you're dying to know the next chapter in their lives. Come on, HJ, your fans are waiting to read more! Loved it. I melted when I read that Nathan hates taking off his wedding ring. The breast pump made me chuckle, and the smell of lilacs in her mom's hair was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tara! Thanks everyone for stopping in. I can;t tell you how much fun this was for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She did do a great job with the questions! Thanks for lighting up the spotlight today, HJ!

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion!