~ FEELIN' A LITTLE SAVAGE THIS MORNING? SAVAGE DECEPTION! ~






My road to publication… by R.T. Wolfe

The road to publication is changing. Self-publishing and the appearance of more unconventional publishers are shaking the landscape, forcing traditional publishers to evolve or suffer in sales. Some have chosen the latter. Although still strong sellers, print books continue to decline in numbers as ebook sales rise exponentially. For authors, this means the road to publication is no longer a standard process. Every author has a story. Here is mine.

I wrote Black Creek Burning, Black Creek Series Book 1, as a stand-alone novel. Although, books 2 and 3 in the series had already taken shape in my head, I had no idea if an agent or publisher would take more than the first book. In fact, I did the same with book 2 in the series, Flying in Shadows. What an incredible challenge it was to create a book that was, indeed, the next in a series, a prequel to the final book in a series, yet could also be a stand-alone novel. It was that sick kind of challenge. The kind that wakes you up in the middle of the night so you can spend a few hours working on it only to leave you nodding off at work the next day with a smile on your face.

As I worked on Flying in Shadows, I queried. I queried agents. I queried publishing companies. More agents. More publishers. The process was daunting. It contains extensive research on each and every agent/publisher you submit to. They each want something different; a cover letter only, a cover letter plus the first 5 pages, first 3 chapters, a full manuscript. And if you want your letter to stand out from the other hundred they received that day, you need to add something personal that is particular to that specific agent or company. I’d rather have a tooth pulled. But I was determined. The drug coursed through my veins, dragging my feet forward to get that next fix. Writing.

One inch away from self-publishing, I was offered my first contract. In fact, I was offered two in the same week. Go figure. I didn’t choose the right one and four months later was able to terminated my contract with that company and sign with ePublishing Works. They are one of those unconventional publishers, and I couldn’t be happier. Five books later, Black Creek Burning hit the top 100 on Amazon and #1 at Barnes and Noble. Pinch me.

Savage Deception, Nickie Savage Series Book 1, was released last month. If you like detective, mystery, romance, give it a try!

Here is the Amazon link: 

And here is Barnes and Noble: 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/savage-deception-rt-wolfe/1118045251?ean=9781614175131 (ebook should be live any day now)


Busy juggling loan sharks and Amber Alerts, Detective Nickie Savage makes time when the FBI seeks her expertise with a child trafficking ring. But when Nickie discovers that the men running the ring are the same ones who abducted her as a young teen, the case gets personal.

Risking her badge, Nickie goes rogue. Luckily, she has Duncan Reed, along with his wire tapping and surveillance expertise. But Duncan also wants to take their relationship to the next level.

Now, Nickie must choose: break her own rules and risk her heart or forge ahead alone.

THE NICKIE SAVAGE SERIES, in order

Savage Echoes
Savage Deception
Savage Rendezvous
Savage Disclosure
Savage Betrayal
Savage Alliance


This road to publication is longer than the United State’s Interstate 80. I’m still seriously considering self-publishing a series and have a bigger publishing company that wants a manuscript submission from me. I’m not sure which exit to take or if I should stay on the Interstate. As most authors do, I’m taking one day at time and working on the next book.

And for M.J.’s ‘Just for fun’… (love these!)

If you could be any animal, what animal would you choose, and why? 

An eagle. I love the cold. I love to fly, and could fight for survival if I had to.

What CD is in your CD player right now? 

The playlist I use most has The Fray, GooGoo Dolls, Uncle Kracker, and Callie Colbert. Diversity. J

What is your concept of a fruitful day? 

6,000 words and an hour of marketing. Woo hoo!

What one thing (modern convenience) could you not live without? 

Flush toilets. I know this might not seem like a modern convenience, but I’ve been to Liberia, and I’ve been tent camping a zillion times. I have my limits.

What are your three favorite smells? 

Ooo. That’s a good one, M.J. I’m going to say coffee, citris, and subtle cologne. 

Subtle cologne. Definitely a romance writer's answer. 

Thank you for having me back, M.J. I’m truly honored. 

My pleasure entirely! Having my favorite author on is not much of a struggle.

Follow R.T. on Facebook: 

Follow R.T. on Twitter: 

R.T.’s WebPage: 

http://www.rtwolfe.com






16 comments:

  1. Favorite author? Sheesh, M.J. I'm honored. And I'm especially honored to be back on your blog. I don't know how you do it all.
    Thank you for having me.
    -R.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore the needs of my family, don't clean, and sometimes don't even use proper grooming. Just kidding...sort of. I am the one who is honored to have you, my friend. I'm going to let you all in on a little secret...R.T. is one of the hardest working authors I've ever met. When I get up at five in the morning, I always know that R.T. has been up for a while, hard at it. Her drive to create quality work is amazing! She labors over each sentence and it shows. And she just keeps getting better and better! If you haven't yet read one of her books, do yourself a favor and get one. It won't be your last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the story and the Q&A. congrats RT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the congrats, Laurie. M.J. has great questions.
      -R.T.

      Delete
  4. Interesting post RT. Navigating the long and winding road to what you described as, "unconventional publishers," sounds perilous. If you had it all to do over again today, would you take the same path?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Steve. Thanks for stopping by to chat with us.

      Delete
    2. Steve,
      I think my path was meant to be. I'm happy and, yes, I would do it again. I actually think the more unconventional publishers are the ones who will make it. They are willing to break rules for the good of the big picture. Regardless, the road to publication is perilous, most certainly!

      Delete
  5. Great information there. Admire your drive! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drive, yes, she has it in spades! Thanks for popping in, Margo!

      Delete
    2. If I'm going to fail, it will be because that was meant to be, not because I gave up or only put in a half effort. Thank you for the kind words.
      -R.T.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. You definitely did it right. Your books are awesome, and I'm so proud of your success. Interesting post...big hugs to R.T. and M.J. (Hey, both of you have initial names...you're welcome for my pointing out the obvious) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, A.D.! So nice to "see" you here! Yes, R.T. is definitely awesome!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Alicia! I have you to thank for your helpful edits. :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for having me, M.J. I always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very kind of you, m'dear! Thanks for hanging out with me today!

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion!